Share:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

STUDY FINDS THAT DRINKING ALCOHOL REALLY MAKES YOU CRAVE COCAINE

03/11/2017, 13:52 (This post was last modified: 03/11/2017, 13:54 by ReedeFox.)
STUDY FINDS THAT DRINKING ALCOHOL REALLY MAKES YOU CRAVE COCAINE
A new study has discovered that drinking booze makes a person more prone to developing a cocaine addiction.

Scientists found that when we drink alcohol over a long period of time it causes the breakdown of two proteins in the body that act as a blocker in the brains ‘reward circuit’. This can then lead to the person craving harder substances like coke. If like me, you had no clue what the brains 'reward circuit' actually is, allow me to explain - It's a group of structures that release dopamine, which is linked to pleasure, and these are activated by things like drugs, which is why drugs make us so darn happy.

[Image: 2a016]

The research was carried out on rats and the study split the rats into two groups. One group was given alcohol and the other was given water.Study author Dr Edmund Griffin, assistant professor of Clinical Psychiatry at Columbia University, said:
Quote:We found that the animals in the alcohol priming group had enhanced behavioural responses.We looked not only at how much cocaine they used but also will they continue to use a drug, even if they have a negative consequence - like a foot shock.

The study showed that the rats who had the booze were more persistent in seeking out the coke, pressing a button to release the drug 58 times during the experiment. Compared to the rats without alcohol exposure who only pressed the button 18 times. Wowzers. Those are some cocain loving rats!

Follow me on Twitter: @ReedeFox
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to ReedeFox for this post:
FantasticMR, JamezZ
03/11/2017, 14:22
RE: STUDY FINDS THAT DRINKING ALCOHOL REALLY MAKES YOU CRAVE COCAINE
People complain that they fell like rats trapped in a daily routine. Well humans you've got it worse than rats! It's official, where was the last place you were where they fed you loads of booze and said "Oh buy the way, here's a button, just tap that when you fancy some chang."

Visit us @ https://www.rampant.tv/channels

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You
03/11/2017, 16:05
(03/11/2017, 14:22)FantasticMR Wrote:  People complain that they fell like rats trapped in a daily routine. Well humans you've got it worse than rats! It's official, where was the last place you were where they fed you loads of booze and said "Oh buy the way, here's a button, just tap that when you fancy some chang."

Right? I'm coming back as a rat in my next life.

Follow me on Twitter: @ReedeFox
Add Thank You
09/11/2017, 17:26
What a bizarrely designed study. Offer rats alcohol and cocaine and the ones that drink more take more cocaine.

So first off without the cocaine in there the 'alcoholic' rats aren't going to be desperate to get out of the cage to find cocaine they have never seen or heard of.

Secondly, isn't that just saying guess what 'alcohol affects our ability to make sensible decisions'.

Where would we be without these groundbreaking studies
Add Thank You
09/11/2017, 17:28
(09/11/2017, 17:26)JamezZ Wrote:  Secondly, isn't that just saying guess what 'alcohol affects our ability to make sensible decisions'.

No JamezZ it's clearly the ones on alcohol who makes sensible decisions as they want more cocaine  Biggrin Biggrin Biggrin

Visit us @ https://www.rampant.tv/channels

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You
10/11/2017, 22:21
That may well be true, and would still be a finding that I think more accurately explains the study than alcohol causes cocaine craving which seems to be what they set out to prove, but I don't think this does it
Add Thank You