Share:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Taylor Swift sort of gets naked in new music video
09/11/2017, 18:18
RE: Taylor Swift sort of gets naked in new music video
Yes, I agree that most younger people do listen to music mostly on their phone or maybe on an Ipod. However, when a video gets a lot of publicity it also gets a lot of views very quickly, mainly from young people as well.

Taylor Swift's lead single from her 6th album Reputation, which is being released tomorrow, was Look What You Made Me Do. It premiered on the Video Music Awards show and garnered 38 million views on YouTube in just 24 hours, beating the world record for the most views in a day for any music video. That video propelled her to her first UK number 1 in her career and spent 3 weeks at number 1 in the US. I very much doubt this would have been achieved without an iconic video.

It does seem to suggest to me that watching videos is still very much a mainstream past time, even if only viewed on a phone perhaps.
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
10/11/2017, 22:17
I think this is an example of stats not telling the whole story though. A lot of people now get their music solely from youtube. They will set up a youtube playlist of their favourite songs and then let it play.

But most of the time they will not have the video open, it is just the audio in a separate tab to what they are doing.

Views on the youtube video are just loads of the page after all, not necessarily people actually watching the video.

Hence the '10 hours of Gangnam style' etc videos. No one is actually 'watching' it for 10 hours
10/11/2017, 22:53
Yes you make a good point. Indeed I often go about my chores in the morning whilst leaving a YouTube playlist playing on the TV, purely to provide a sound track to my routine. I do watch some of the videos though, but many are playing whilst I am in another room.

I always thought I was unusual in this respect, as no-one I know does likewise. However, from what you say, perhaps it is a more common activity than I realised.
11/11/2017, 00:00
I imagine a lot of executives in the music industry are still pre-youtube era producers etc. It is likely that a lot of effort is put into the music videos because they see all these 'views' and not realise that it could be a black screen and they will still get 3/4 of that view number.

Not saying it will be a good thing if music videos disappeared, in fact it would be a real shame. But someone is going to realise it and stop paying for them
11/11/2017, 00:28
Artists do get paid for the views their videos get, even though the sum they get is a tiny amount per video. Mind you though, if you get a billion views, it still adds up to a lot of mon,ey. This probably makes it worthwhile for the major artists. The fee is the same whether someone actually watches the video or not as long as it is being played.

For lesser artists it is more about getting your face and music out there, where the public can discover you rather than looking for any profit from the video.
11/11/2017, 23:01
Yes of course GrandDuke, the uploader of the video gets an amount of money per view count. But I mean more that lets say a 1 billion views video would still get 800 million views with a black screen because people are just listening rather than watching. Then production companies may well stop forking out money to produce impressive music videos as it may balance out to actually make them more
12/11/2017, 00:19
Yes that is something their marketing team should be assessing, as spending a fortune on a video would be silly if a cheap video with just some lyrics did just as well.
12/11/2017, 00:25
There has been a trend recently where major artists have indeed just released lyric videos, often when they flood the market with singles off a new album and they have neither the time nor money to make each into a blockbuster video.

If the actual quality of the video was not important, you would expect the videos to get a similar number of plays although the expensive videos would probably get a little more. What I seemed to have seen though is that the lyric videos have had a modest number of views compared to the traditional videos released around the same time by the same artist. This does support the idea that a quality video will make people sit down and watch it even today.
12/11/2017, 00:38
The best evidence though I can find is appropriately Taylor Swift's video 'Look What You Made Me Do'. She released a lyrics only video 2 months ago, just a few days before she launched the actual video. Despite the fact that the lyrics only video had a head start, it has only mustered 88 million views as opposed to the 697 million views the actual video has had.

If people only wanted to listen to the song and not watch the video, one would expect the number of views between them would be much closer than is the case. This does suggest that a lot of people are actually watching this video, as opposed to just listening to it with a blank screen, especially as some people might be even be watching the lyrics video as well to learn the words to the first song from Taylor Swifts first album for 3 years.
12/11/2017, 20:51
I think there is an example of people wanting the quality versions and going with the easiest to prove.

If I search a song on youtube for example I am more likely to click on the 'official video' than a lyric one. The 'official music video' you know has been uploaded by the studio and should therefore have the best quality. The lyric videos tend to be uploaded by random users and have slightly less clarity and can sound awful.

I am still not watching the video, just want the best quality sound and the official one is always going to be the fastest choice to get this rather than testing a bunch of unofficial looking ones