Share:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Books

17/03/2012, 11:47
RE: Books
I thought i'd give this thread another bump.
I'm currently reading 'One flew over the cuckoos nest' by Ken Kesey.
I've already seen the film but i thought i should give the book a try. Very interesting, so far. Its written from the Chiefs point of view (for those of you who know the film). I've found it hard to stay with at times cos there are a few pages of hallucinations but all in all, very good!
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You
03/05/2012, 16:49
If you do not read much and are just starting I would certainly recomend the Terry Pratchett DiscWorld series there is a large number of books they are funny and very well written. Start with the Coulour of Magic the first book then all you need do is owrk your wat through the other 30 + . It is great if you have an e-book reader as you can download copies for free and then just start at the first and move on.
Add Thank You
13/09/2012, 18:01 (This post was last modified: 13/09/2012, 20:15 by Clitterbug.)
If like me you like a good book but keep forgetting the last few pages when you put the book down for a few days {maybe it was 20 odd years of smoking pot, destroys ya short term memory, spewed it now} get your self on AUDIBLES ive downloaded a few books that have been well worth a listen, the narrator can make or break a book as they sometimes think they can act an put on silly accents in novels, non fiction stuff is sound, i can recomend Helter Skelter by Vincent Bugliosi the prosicution attourney at the Charlie Manson trial, Che part 1 Reminicences of the cuban revolution / part 2 The Bolivian Diary by Che Guevara, The God Delusion / The Greatest Show on Earth the Evidence for Evolution by Richard Dawkins, John Lennon the Life, havnt had many novels but a good one was The Girl with the Draggon Tattoo by Stig Larson also if your into Steve Coogan I Partridge We Need to Talk About Alan i thought was fuckn great, got Mindstar Rising/Quantum Murder/The Nano Flower, trilogy by Peter Hamilton on a 3 for 2 deal, havnt had a chance to listen to any of them yet but they come highly recomended by other AUDIBLE customers, you can buy as many as often as you like or like me get a 1 book a month subscription for £7.99. By the way if you dont mind subtitled films The Girl/Draggon Tattoo/Played With Fire/Kicked the Hornets Nest, boxed set {sweedish} brilliant!
Add Thank You
13/09/2012, 22:23
As with everyine else's suggestions it depends on what genre you want to read.

I'd say for light comedy go for ant Terry Pratchett or Robert Rankin books, very similar in styles, but Robert Rankin is a little more surreal and sets up his gags a little better.

Fantasy i'd suggest the Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan (and then his son after he passed away) as they are a very good series of books and will keep you going for a very long time.

More sci-fi comedy, the Douglas adams series of the hitchikers guide to the galaxy is very good, if not taxing at all. Or you could try the Red Dwarf novels, all are a good read and made me laugh out loud.

A more serious Scf-fi read may get you taking a look at Frank Herbert's Dune series which is set in a richly envisaged universe, way more complex than the Film or tv series could ever have managed to portray.

And yes i may have read more than most people would have assumed as well.

I did read the divinci code and the other dan brown novel with the same plot set in the Vatican, and i really enjoyed the divinci code, but was appalled by the film and and the other book was exactly the same so well done him for conning me into reading it twice.
Add Thank You
13/09/2012, 22:39
All books are a personal thing. For me I liked The Hunger Games books which I read over the last couple weeks. Also Game Of Thrones books are pretty decent - if you liked the tv series you'll lie the books more. Like Chillblane said the Dan brown books are pretty much all the same, although I did enjoy reading Digital Fortress. The Steig Larsson books are worth a read. If you value your minutes on this planet you'll not read the Twishite books.
Add Thank You
14/09/2012, 00:00
Wow, just found this thread so will give it another bump.
As mentioned before Terry Pratchetts Discworld and Frank Herberts Dune, excellent if you're into that genre.
One of my faves is a series following a series of characters titled the Eternal Champion by Michael Moorcock, with probably his best known character Elric of Melnibone (other being Hawkmoon & Corum), I bought the set of 12/13 books a good few years back and was totally blown away, as Moorcock must have been when he was writing some of them (on some strange substances) as some are wacky and weird, but if you like the whole fantasy genre, has to be worth a read. I hope some of you do.

[Image: xaz9.jpg] I'd be delighted to offer any advice I have on understanding women. When I have some, I'll let you know.... Make it so.....
Add Thank You
15/09/2012, 14:03
Some others I remember reading when I was younger are
Sven Hassell, if you like a bit of WW2, books like Riegn of Hell & OGPU Prison
J T Edson had a load of westerns out featuring a few different characters, one being ole devil
Harry Turtledove did a alternative history/fantasy thing with his World War series, WW2 meets invading Alien Lizards
Anne McCaffreys Dragons of Pern series is quite good, I thought I heard a while back they was going to do a film about this but nothing since!!
Anne Rice's Interview with the Vampire series, much better then this twilight drivel...
and of course must mention Arthur C Clarkes 2001, 2010, 2061 and 3001 set.

[Image: xaz9.jpg] I'd be delighted to offer any advice I have on understanding women. When I have some, I'll let you know.... Make it so.....
Add Thank You
22/09/2012, 09:52
I do read a lot, when I was younger it was all James Herbert, Michael Moorcroft, Terry Pratchett and Robert Rankin but they all started to get very samey (in my opinion)

Really liked the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy series (trilogy, foursome, whatever) and the books are so much better than the film. Also, Joseph Heller (Catch22), Leslie Thomas (Virgin Soldiers, etc) and Tom Sharpe (his earlier stuff)

At the moment I'm reading stuff that I wish I'd read when I was younger - Dr Jekyll, Frankenstein, War of the Worlds, We and the like - great stories that illustrate the age of science and thinking of the possibilities and consequences
Add Thank You
22/09/2012, 11:01
I remember reading war of the worlds when I was quite young. I had looked up the radio show on the internet and seen that when it was first aired in the United States that a lot of people believed it was an actual noise story of an alien invasion occurring. That motivated me to get the book and see what it read like.

(22/09/2012, 09:52)UubbaGuubba Wrote:  At the moment I'm reading stuff that I wish I'd read when I was younger - Dr Jekyll, Frankenstein, War of the Worlds, We and the like - great stories that illustrate the age of science and thinking of the possibilities and consequences

Add Thank You
23/09/2012, 22:10 (This post was last modified: 23/09/2012, 22:12 by RussyRover.)
Yes, War of the Worlds is great, also read other HG Wells titles such The Time Machine, The Invisible Man, Island of Dr Moreau (film did not do it justice at all), First Men In The Moon and others, he was really on the pulse when it came to looking to the future.. Reading these now could appear lame due to inaccuracies but remember the time period when he wrote these, definitely on my book shelf.
A couple of others if you like nostalgia
1) Edgar Rice Burroughs, probably best known for writing Tarzan series and better to read even if you've seen the films, and also the Mars series, which the recent film John Carter was based on, again much better reading (and many others, you may be surprised, look them up).
2) the original Ian Fleming James Bonds novels, whether you like a certain Bond or not or like the films or not, the books again are much better, I suppose Connerys bond was more close to them because of the time period they were made, they had the look you imagined when you read them.

Add Thank You