Share:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Taylor Swift sort of gets naked in new music video
12/11/2017, 21:46
RE: Taylor Swift sort of gets naked in new music video
I agree completely with you that the videos that people would tend to play would be the official ones. So if the lyric video was uploaded by a private individual, it would be perfectly reasonable to assume the sound quality would be sub-standard. I would definitely play the official video like you suggest in such cases.
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
12/11/2017, 22:00
The difference in the example I quoted though was that the lyric video in question was released by TaylorSwiftVEVO so is the official soundtrack released by the studio. It got about 10 million of its 88 million views in the first 48 hours as the official video was not yet released. She released official lyric videos for 3 of the 4 singles released from the album so far, of which only 2 have an official video to date.

So the sound quality for these lyric videos are as good as it could get, but the number of views for all 3 combined only come to 152 million views whilst the two released videos with the exact same quality of sound track, total 786 million views. This means that the official lyric videos are averaging 50 million views versus 393 million views per blockbuster video.
12/11/2017, 22:02
Of course it is impossible to prove just how many of these views have someone watching the video. No-one can ever know that. I am merely using official viewing figures to lend wait to the argument that there still are lots of people watching her videos at least.
13/11/2017, 21:32
Yes GrandDuke, but I was saying that even if it is released from the official channel people will just search and then click the first official looking one. No one is taking the time to check properly. I wouldn't even know there were official lyric videos without you telling me. So its really still the same situation as the official video is the fastest to identify to just start the music.

Remember people have the attention span of a goldfish these days, if it takes longer than 2 seconds or involves reading to work out what is best its not worth their time
14/11/2017, 00:21
Lol, you are probably right there. It would not surprise me if people are just clicking on what looks official without checking. Also, YouTube auto suggests videos and it is likely that a successful video will be suggested more often than ones with less views.
14/11/2017, 20:36
Yes, a good point there. It only takes a few people looking for the most official one for audio only and clicking on the music video. Then youtube starts putting it at the top as the algorithms record its popularity. Its also assumed that the top one will be the official one so its just a circle really.
15/11/2017, 00:07
Yes it is hard to know how many people are actually watching the videos as opposed to just using them to listen to the music. On Sky there appears to be dozens of music video channels which suggest that they are watched but maybe again it is just listening that is taking place. Who knows?
15/11/2017, 21:37
It's the same as youtube. People will put on the sky channel on their tv and blast it out loud while they are doing the cleaning or something. Or sometimes its easiest thing to put on in the background while people are visiting.

We obviously have different views as we use these things in the opposite way, but I do think that far less watch them than actually do. This is also an increasing number as generations are switching from music as entertainment in its own right to music as a background
15/11/2017, 23:08
Yes I have been at people's houses in the past where the TV is left on a music video channel with the sound turned down very low and it is just used as a background ambience. However, as a habitual viewer rather than listener, I spend more time watching the pictures than I do listening to what they are saying. Lol.
16/11/2017, 23:46
GrandDuke that could be both a blessing or a curse depending on who you have been invited to visit I suppose. 'Don't mind me I love music videos' cheeky way of excusing yourself from dull conversations.